Steph, 20, English
This is a fandom blog.
some of these resources aren’t targeted writers, but i included them because they are useful tools in understanding how disabled people live
disabled characters in general
physically disabled characters
Mental age is not acceptable (applies to people with learning disorders or other cognitive disabilities too)
mentally ill characters
psychopathy and why everything you think about it is wrong and terrible (the author of that post says that fang is willing to answer any questions on the subject)
my own thoughts
if i had to write a ten commandments for writing disabled characters they would probably be:
- don’t reduce them solely to their disability, but also don’t act like their disability is separate from who they are (if you have multiple disabled characters though, it’s fine for them to feel like this is true for them personally). develop them as a person with likes, dislikes, etc.
- don’t use them to ‘inspire’ people because they’re disabled and are able to ‘overcome’ it.
- don’t cure their disability in the story. please, please, please.
- don’t pull a JK Rowling. explicitly state that they are disabled within the story proper. otherwise it’s not really representation at all.
- don’t rely heavily on things that people who are not part of the group have written about disabled people, if possible. if you do, you may end up regurgitating some really gross ideas. (avoid Autism Speaks resources like the plague.)
- don’t have other characters describe the character as ‘trapped in their own body/world’ or better off dead, unless you will have someone else confront that character about what they said.
- don’t act like the only obstacles they face are from their disability. show how the social and legal stigmas against disability affects their lives too.
Byron Hurt in an interview with Bitch Magazine being an actual ally
"Why this one? Why did I choose this face? It’s like I’m trying to tell myself something. Like I’m trying to make a point. But what is so important that I can’t just tell myself what I’m thinking?”
posted 3 hours ago u with 543 notes
make me choose → mary stuart or hermione granger? (asked by anon)
Merthur Graphic Meme - Plus One [1/1]
Awww Twelve is so considerate before he kills you. (◡‿◡✿)
posted 7 hours ago u with 234 notes